AddThis Feed Button
Google
 

Monday, June 29, 2009

BET Awards: Allz I Have to Say Is...

BET Awards 2009 complete list of winners:
Video of the Year: Beyonce, 'Single Ladies'
Best Male R'n'B Artis: Ne-Yo
Best Female R'n'B Artist: Beyonce
Best Male Hip-Hop Artist: Lil Wayne
Best Female Hip-Hop Artist: M.I.A.
Best Gospel Artist: Mary Mary
Best New Artist: Keri Hilson
Best Group: Day 26
Best Collaboration: Jamie Foxx/T-Pain, 'Blame It'
Best Video Director: Benny Boom
Viewers' Choice Award: T.I. (featuring Rihanna) 'Live Your Life'
Best Actor: Will Smith
Best Actress: Taraji Henson
Female Athlete of the Year: Serena Williams
Male Athlete of the Year: LeBron James
Source
Here’s the thing kids. For BET, the show actually wasn’t bad…I stress again ‘for BET.’ For any other self respecting channel that claims to be the voice and representation of a people this show was an inadequate and inappropriate (in most cases), display of sheer fuckery. I’ll explain. Coming from someone ‘in the business’ on the back end, I can appreciate the difficulty and great undertaking it must have been to put together a show of that magnitude in such a short period of time. I give props to the production people who put in numerous hours of hard work to try to pay tribute to Uncle Mike. BUT AND HOWEVER, there were a few things that I must say were absolutely unacceptable in everyway.
1. Joe Jackson, I understand you are grieving your son and sometimes people grieve in strange ways, but now is not the time to rep you new record label.
2. Jamie, I need you to not promote your music, movie, and comedy show ventures every time there’s a second of silence in the room.
3. Speaking of silence, was I the only one who heard crickets after every joke he told?
4. What was with the long pauses before and after every break. I don’t need to see a full sixty seconds of the camera on a dark stage with a janitor sweeping up and everyone shifting in their seats and coming back from the potty. YOU ARE ON THE AIR PEOPLE! GET IT TOGETHER!
5. Sound guy, what’s your address so I can send you a pamphlet on career counseling. At one point on Sunday afternoon did you decide to check out and allow EVERY expletive to escape you? I’m just curious.
6. Who’s idea was the ‘Baby Boy’ skit? Namely…Ving Raimes’ part. When he walked out drinking what I could only assume to be Kool-Aid from a plastic pitcher, my soul went postal before turning the gun on itself. WHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYY?!
7. Wheelchair Jimmy performs ‘Best I Ever Had’, with little girls dancing around him and Wayne. One of the girls I believe is Wayne’s daughter. Here’s my question: How is ok to utter the words “I wanna fuck every girl in the world!” whilst your tween daughter and her friends dance provocatively around you?!?!!? Blast you!

I’m spent. I said I wasn’t going to comment on this but after talking to Lillie aka “Blaze”, I was naturally fired up.
I pray the next tribute(s) will be a little better put together.

Want more Manifesto? Check me out at AllVoices.com and Wordpress.com.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home